To successfully navigate government — team up with an experienced guide.
During my tenure in the Legislature, I always found Ms. Zamarripa to be responsive, collaborative and willing to push the envelope in developing higher education policy in California. Her ability to think outside the box has been of great value to my colleagues and I in an environment where the status quo cycle is often hard to break.
-Kevin De Leon
Emeritus Senate President Pro Tempore, California Legislature
Assistant Vice Chancellor
California State University | 1991 to 2015
Led and coordinated state governmental affairs and alumni and community relations for the 23-campus CSU system.
Duties included the development and implementation of strategic and stakeholder engagement plans.
Served as a key advisor to the CSU’s chancellor, trustees, and other senior leaders regarding budget and policy goals and objectives.
Transformed CSU’s Advocacy and State Relations (ASR) office to proactive team that provide direct advocacy, strategic communications, system and campus level training programs, and created an online and social media presence.
Coordinated several successful legislative initiatives including: establishing CSU’s first independent doctorate programs and the creation of two new CSU campuses (Monterey and Ventura counties and an off-campus center in Stockton).
Worked with policy makers and CSU officials to pass legislative and administrative changes that streamlined and reduced costs associated with CSU’s operations.
Initiated and implemented a system-wide effort to develop, train and support campus-based advocacy teams made up of cross campus teams.
Developed a statewide online network that now allows CSU to communicate and engage with over 500,000 recipients as part of a grassroots outreach and advocacy program targeting policy makers involved in CSU-related issues.
Served as the coordinator and lead advocate of a coalition that led a successful statewide campaign to achieve over $30 billion in voter approved general obligations bonds for K-12 and higher education.
Represented CSU in annual budget negotiations and advocacy including the development of the first “compact” agreement with the Governor. Successfully advocated for the first fully funded Trustees’ budget in a decade for 2015-16.
Initiated an annual report and related efforts to showcase CSU’s contributions to California’s economy and quality of life, presented as part of a public accountability effort aimed at policy makers, taxpayers, the news media and opinion leaders.
Initiated biannual Campaign Roadshow visiting up to 40 legislative candidates each election cycle educating potential new members on higher education issues and making connections between the university, local campuses and candidates prior to the election.
Lead a 9-member team as well as two outside contract lobbying firms representing the university managing hundreds of legislative measures in areas including but not limited to campus climate and safety, employment and labor relations, retirement, capital outlay, procurement and contract and educational programs and Trustee confirmations.
Ms. Zamarripa is highly regarded by both peers and clients for her vast experience and knowledge; many of her contacts have become close friends and have worked with, for, or alongside her for decades.
Selective Public Experience
- Represented CSU on the California Postsecondary Education Commission (CPEC) and chaired Statutory Advisory Committee to coordinate intersegmental collaboration and partnerships.
- Treasurer of the Board of Directors of the Parent Institute for Quality Education (PIQE). A non-profit organization dedicated to helping underserved students achieve college success.
- Serves as a Senior Fellow of the American Leadership Forum, Mountain Valley.
- Canada Community College – Member, ESO Adelante Advisory Board
- Past President and Board member of Leadership California.
- President and Board Member of Capitol Network. An organization of women in state government and elected office who focus on increasing success and influence in policy making.
- Chair and member of the Higher Education Government Relations Task Force. A professional development consortium coordinated by the American Association of Community Colleges, American Association of State Colleges and Universities, Association of Public and Land-grant Universities, and the Council for the Advancement of Secondary Education.
- Ninja Pandas – Board of Directors
Master of Science Degree | May 2001
California State University, Sacramento
Major: Public Policy and Administration (MPPA)
Bachelor of Science Degree | July 1981
University of Southern California
Major: Public Affairs
Minor: Urban and Regional Planning